Application Deadline: December 15, 2023
Conflicts around the world have led to the displacement of millions of people, resulting in a significant impact on research and higher education for those affected. Armed conflicts, civil wars, political instability, and persecution force people to flee their homes and seek refuge in other countries or within their own borders. Many refugees were involved in research or higher education in their home countries prior to displacement. The conflict disrupts their research projects, academic careers, and scientific contributions.
The COMSTECH Science in Exile Fellowships Program aims to support displaced and refugee scientists to stay up-to-date in their field, maintain meaningful careers, and be in a position to help rebuild their countries, once conditions allow. Until then, these professionals can be valuable assets for the countries in which they arrive.
The COMSTECH Science in Exile Fellowship Program aims to provide displaced and refugee scholars and scientists who have not yet found a safe and long-term host country an opportunity to pursue their studies/research, at institutions/universities of the COMSTECH Consortium of Excellence (CCoE). In this program, 10 Research Fellowships and 10 Post-doctoral Research Fellowships are to be offered for the year 2024.
|Call Status||The first cycle of applications for this program is open. The deadline for applications is December 15, 2023.|
|Hosting Country||COMSTECH Consortium of Excellence Member Universities/Research Institutions|
(Click here for the list of Member Universities/Research Institutions)
|Eligible nationality||Displaced/Refugee from Afghanistan, Palestine, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen|
|Minimum degree held||M.S/MSc for Research Fellowship and PhD for Post-Doc Research Fellowship in relevant field of study|
|Number of Fellowships||10 Research Fellowships and 10 Post-doctoral Research Fellowships|
(Applicants may apply to only one of the fellowships)
|Duration||6 months (Full Time)|
|Age limit||Maximum 35 years (For Research Fellowship), 45 years (For Post-Doc Research Fellowship)|
|Areas of Research||01-Agricultural Sciences 02-Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology 03-Biological Systems and Organisms 04-Medical and Health Sciences Incl. Neurosciences 05-Chemical Sciences 06-Engineering Sciences 07-Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences 08-Mathematical Sciences 09-Physics|
|Language||The language of instruction is English.|
Terms of the Scholarships
- Applicants should be displaced or refugee scholars and scientists:
i. Currently living in any OIC Member State and holding the right to live and study in the respective country. OR
ii. Able to travel to Pakistan.
Please note that the program is not suitable for scholars at risk who need specific assistance to leave their home country. Awardees are responsible for arranging the logistics and safety of their own relocation.
- Those travelling from outside Pakistan will be eligible for one economy class return air ticket for the entire duration of the fellowship.
- Applicants who hold citizenship or permanent residency in Pakistan or in safe third countries are not eligible to apply.
- The fellowships are offered for six months.
- Upon request, the host institutions may provide free accommodation for Research Fellows and Post-Doc Research Fellows.
- Applicants may apply for only one of the two types of fellowships offered under the COMSTECH Science in Exile Fellowships Programme.
Applicants also need to send the following documentation along with the application form:
- Scanned copy of your valid passport.
- CV, maximum five pages, including publications.
- Supporting Statement from Head of Home Institution.
- Two reference letters of senior scientists familiar with your work. Please note that the Head of your Home Institution cannot be one of your referees.
- M.S. /Ph.D. degrees and relevant university transcripts.
- Detailed Research Proposals for the planned research.