Jointly Organized by COMSTECH and
The Standards and Metrology Institute for Islamic Countries (SMIIC) in collaboration with Islamic University of Technology (IUT), Bangladesh.
Venue: Islamic University of Technology (IUT), Bangladesh
Date: May 03-07, 2023
Deadline for applications: April 10, 2023
In view of the diversity of several products, including processed food and other items of daily use in the present day, authentication and confirmation of their Halal nature is a growing challenge globally. Beside the environmental contaminants, both biological and chemical, addition of non-halal ingredients, which is prohibited for Muslims, are a matter of concern. In recent years, awareness about Halal food and products has increased due to the cross contamination of several industrial products in our daily life. However, with increasing globalization, many Islamic countries import these products (or ingredients) from places which do not observe the Islamic religious laws. It is therefore, imperative for the Muslim countries to establish Halal testing laboratories which will ensure the ‘Halal’ status of the consumer products.
COMSTECH, SMIIC and other OIC institutions/organizations have been mandated by the Abu Dhabi Declaration (Second OIC Summit on Science & Technology, June 2021) to develop the capacity of Least Developed Countries of the OIC relevant to Halal (Clause # 32).
The objective of this training courses is to encourage the harmonization of Halal Standards used in the OIC Countries and internationally by aiding in the adoption and use of the OIC/SMIIC Halal Standards. The training course is designed to train the participants from regarding the procedures for adoption, implementation and use of the OIC/SMIIC Halal Food Standards, mainly:
- OIC/SMIIC 1:2019 – General Requirements for Halal Food
- Auditing of Testing Labs in line with OIC/SMIIC 35 – Conformity Assessment – General Requirements for the Competence of Laboratories Performing Halal Testing.
- the Testing Procedures standards such as Test Method for detection of porcine in Food Products (meat, processed food and gelatin) which are being chosen at SMIIC TC1 Technical Committee for Halal food issues.
The aim is to transfer knowledge and skills, and to develop the human capital, while bridging the knowledge gap and enlightening the compliance requirements set forth by the regulatory bodies in the OIC Countries.
Practical session: The first 3 days will consist of lectures which will can also be attended via zoom. This will be followed by a practical session of 2 days which will be conducted for a limited number of selected participants to transfer hands-on knowledge in halal laboratory testing methods.
In regards to the practical training program, participants should fulfill the following criteria:
- Chemists, Researchers and Test Specialists high level, no beginners
- At least 3 years of practical experience in Real-Time PCR
- Able to converse and write in the English language
- Hold a permanent position at their institute
- Daily work with the measuring equipment
- Good knowledge in GLP.
- Age between 27 – 45 years old
- Had not previously participated in any course under SMIIC and COMSTECH
- Number of participants is limited and selection is based on the relevancy of the applicant’s job scope to the objective of the programme.
Who Should Attend?
The training course is designed to address the interest of scientists, research scholars, government officials, statutory policymakers, enforcement officers, and food safety auditors in OIC/SMIIC Halal Products Standards and Testing.
Travel & Local Hospitality:
COMSTECH will arrange local hospitality for all selected participants. Travel support may be provided to limited number of international participants.
- For physical participation register at the following link: https://forms.gle/JEPw7f5tnXtowyDb6
- For virtual participation register at the following link: https://forms.gle/c7PrQH5S5LT6FfYGA
- Read instructions in the application form carefully and submit a properly filled form along with your CV. Foreign participants must submit a scanned copy of passport.
- Selected candidates will be notified through email; hence, applicants are required to check their emails regularly.
Muhammad Haris Akram
Phone: +92 51 9220681
Muhammad Haseeb Ahmad
Phone: +92 51 9220681