10-11 August, 2021, 1500- 1800 hrs (Kazakhstan Standard Time)
1400- 1700 hrs (Pakistan Standard Time), 900-1200 GMT.
Considering the importance of biodiversity of genetic resources and the possible loss of genetic materials from gene banks due to environmental changes or political conflicts, it is crucial to build the capacity of OIC Member countries in conserving and sustainable use of genetic resources in their respective countries.
Developing strong human resources in the field of Gene Banks and preservation of Plant Genetic Resources (PGR) has become an urgent need since many of our Member States do not possess sufficient human and technical resources in this vital domain. To address this issue, Islamic Organization for Food Security (IOFS) and OIC Standing Committee on Scientific and Technological Cooperation (COMSTECH) have agreed to conduct a series of related trainings for OIC Member countries. Bio-resources Conservation Institute (BCI) of Pakistan Agricultural Research Centre (PARC) have kindly agreed to provide technical support to the training programme in a series of Regional Training Workshops. Experts from other countries and regions will be included as per the demands of the technical program. These trainings may be considered as a follow up to the online Workshop on National Gene banks organized by IOFS and COMSTECH, July 5-6, 2020.
Due to the constraints on travel and gatherings imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic the trainings will be held online.
• To raise awareness of OIC Member countries in establishing gene bank requirements
• To build the capacity of OIC Member countries in maintenance and operations of gene banks (collection of genetic materials, conservation, germplasm exchange policies)
• To familiarize with international and national laws and policies
• To discuss and exchange the international practices in the conservation of genetic resources and effective collaboration in this field of various stakeholders on the national and international level.
- Implementation of activities
In order to achieve the above-mentioned objectives, the organizing parties will implement the following activities during the period of July-November 2021 in the areas of common interest:
1. Online training on PGR (Region-I) Asia 13-14th July, 2021
2. Online training on PGR (Region-II) Africa 10-11th August, 2021
3. Online training on PGR (Region-III) MENA
Training will include video demonstrations and other interactive features to involve active participation.
- Participation: Professionals, academics and researchers related to the field of PGR and Food Security
- Interested participants should apply online Click Here by 4th August 2021.
- Tentative Program of the 2nd Online Training Webinar (Asia Region): 10-11th August, 2021, 1400 to 1700 hours Pakistan Standard Time. (Program Detail Click Here)