International Workshop on Options for an Energy Mix: Issues of Cost and Sustainability
June 26-28, 2018
Venue: COMSTECH Secretariat, Islamabad
Deadline for Applications: 10th May, 2018
Energy generation by various technologies, its management, and the ensuing environmental impacts continue to be a major concern for OIC countries, as for the rest of the world. The situation is of critical urgency because of the increasing demand for energy in developing economies on the one hand, and the capital and environmental costs associated with each technology on the other hand. The predominant role of hydrocarbons and hydroelectric generation is being supplanted with renewables (solar, wind, geothermal, etc). The competing demands of increased power requirements and a sustainable environment demands a judicious choice of energy mix consistent with the physical geography and natural resources of a country. Different OIC countries are addressing the associated challenges in various forms and have their own successes and experiences.
COMSTECH is organizing a 3-day workshop, from 26 to 28th June 2018 to explore these issues and share experience and knowledge between the energy professionals and academics of OIC countries. An outcome of the Workshop would be to suggest sustainable strategies for improved and sustainable energy mix. Resource persons for the workshop would be experts in various areas of energy technologies and their environmental impact.
The workshop themes are planned as follows:
- Enabling sustainable access to Hydropower: Micro and Small scale dams
- Evolution of coal power and its environmental impacts
- Challenges in integration of Renewables into the Power Grid
- End of life environmental impact of different energy technologies
- Water Matters : Energy generation demands, recycling & reuse
- Efficiency in generation, and use, and smart cities
- Energy policy and life cycle costs of energy generation (LCOE)
- Scientists, Engineers and Technology Developers
- Policy Makers and Regulators
- Senior Managers from Electricity Generation and Distribution Companies / Public and Private Utility Companies
- Experts from Oil and Gas Sector
- Entrepreneurs and Vendors from the Renewable Energy Sector
- Water and Hydropower Specialists
- Financial Institutions / Developers of Energy Market Trading
Leading national & international experts with vast experience in technology development, energy management, policy frameworks and energy economics will conduct the workshop.
There is no registration fee for foreign participants from OIC Member States. Registration fee for Pakistani participants is Pak Rupees 2,500.
Travel & Local Hospitality:
COMSTECH will provide accommodation and meals for selected participants from OIC member states, and for those residing outside
the twin cities of Islamabad and Rawalpindi. Limited number of travel grants are also available for participants from OIC countries
other than Pakistan. Interested candidates are required to download the travel grant form from
here and send the duly filled form along
with application form by the deadline. Airport pick- and- drop service on arrival and departure will be provided to all participants upon
Download application form from here
Step 2:Read instructions in the application form carefully and submit properly filled form along with your CV to email@example.com /firstname.lastname@example.org . Foreign participants must submit scanned copy of first three pages of their passport along with the application form.
Step 3:Selected candidates will be notified through email, hence, applicants are required to regularly check their emails.
Program Manager, COMSTECH
Fax: +92-51-9205264, +92-51-9220265
Technical Coordinators from COMSTECH:
Dr. Shaukat Hameed Khan
Dr. S. Khurshid Hasanain