International Symposium on Global Biodiversity and Health Big Data
July 18, 2019
Venue: COMSTECH Secretariat, Islamabad
Deadline for Applications: June 30, 2019
Completion of Human genome project and abundant use of Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) has fuelled a new wave of enthusiasm among biologists and medical experts to use genome based information for medicine and healthcare, primarily for “personalized medicine. The amount of data produced by genome sequencing, mapping, and analyses has propelled genomics into the realm of Big Data. Advanced genomics and postgenomics technologies produce huge amounts of raw data of complex biochemical and regulatory processes in the living organisms, which requires integrated and comprehensive approach towards “BIG DATA analysis”.
OIC States in general are deficient in this area and there is an urgent need to address these deficiencies. Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad, Pakistan, in collaboration with Beijing Institute of Genomics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China and COMSTECH are organizing a one-day symposium on Biodiversity entitled “International Symposium on Global Biodiversity and Health Big Data” on 18th July 2019 at COMSTECH Secretariat, Islamabad.
The symposium will explore issues, share experiences and knowledge between the field experts and academics from various countries. An outcome of this symposium would be to strategize for the enhanced use of genomics and developing collaboration between the attending experts & institutions in these fields, e.g. medicine as well as basic health science research. International experts from China, Thailand, Russia, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia will be the resource persons for this symposium.
The major sub-themes for this symposium will include
- Genomics & Big data
- Personalized Medicine
- Genomics for Biodiversity
- Biomedical Scientists and practitioner
- Faculty Members
- Young researchers
- BS (7th and 8th semester scholars only), M. Phil and Ph. D program students from Biological and Computational Sciences (Bioinformatics, Molecular Biology, Animal and Plant Sciences, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Environmental Sciences, Computer Sciences/IT or other relevant fields)
Registration fee for Pakistani student participants is Pak Rupees 1,000 while for Pakistani faculty members the registration fee is Pak Rupees 2,000.
Registration fee covers the cost of symposium materials and lunch for the day. Participants are requested to arrange for their own transport and accommodation in case of out of city residence.
- Step 1: Download application from http://ncb.qau.edu.pk/index.php/13-news/211-chinavisit2019.html
- Step 2: Read instructions in the application form carefully and submit properly filled form along with the original bank deposit slip to ““Bioinformatics Office, NCB Building, QAU, Islamabad” or email the scan copy of complete registration form at email@example.com.
- Step 3: Selected candidates will be notified through email; hence, applicants are required to regularly check their emails.
Prof. Dr. Muhammad Ali (Worthy Vice Chancellor, QAU)
Prof. Dr. Muhammad Shahab (Dean FBS, QAU)
Prof. Dr. Bushra Mirza (ISESCO Women Science Chair, QAU)
Dr. S. Khurshid Hasanain (Advisor, COMSTECH Secretariat, Pakistan)
Dr. Amir Ali Abbasi (NCB, QAU)
Contact persons for Symposium